One year ago we moved to this amazing place to start new adventures. What a year! We have laughed often, cried sometimes and I think achieved an enormous amount in a short space of time. Our feet don’t seem to have touched the ground and we have so much more that we want to get done…bring on year 2!!
I honestly believe we deserve to be proud of ourselves and I wanted to share some of my thoughts after our crazy first year. Here they are in no particular order:
Top 6 things I love about being here
- Good cappuccino almost anywhere for only a euro.
- Skiing and sledging in the winter; walking, canoeing, swimming and cycling in the summer.
- Default blue skies year round (although they have not been quite so ‘default’ so far this year!)
- My new English and Italian friends, who have all been so welcoming.
- The amazing mountain views we see everyday when we look out of the window…
- Seeing my children blooming in a new culture and language
Top 6 things we miss:
- Decent Tea (our families have been superb at keeping us supplied on various visits!)
- Cheddar cheese…please cheddar companies start exporting to Italy (more specifically Abruzzo)
- Friends and family – thank goodness for Skype!!
- Indian, mexican and chinese food…in this part of Italy you eat Italian, full stop!
Top 6 things that frustrate me about being here
- How beautiful this region is, yet how difficult it is for people to find out about it.
- How difficult it is to find out information about how things work…and contrary to what others would have you believe, things do work here…just in a somewhat complicated, sometimes illogical fashion!
- How long everything takes (post office queues, making hospital appointments, paying bills)
no…that’s it…I honestly can’t think of anything else. Must be a good sign don’t you think?!!!!!